Last week I was scheduled to switch from DSL internet connection to a faster fiberoptic option. Due to the clever technician who came to make the switch I was left without phone OR internet for five full days. It was frustrating to say the least.
The silver lining in that cloud was that I did a good bit of work in the studio. I cleaned and tidied, went through ALL of my fabric and pulled out pieces that I know I will never use in a quilt. Some of those were speedily turned into gift bags before I could change my mind and add the fabrics back to my stash. There are three full grocery bags of fabric that I have measured and labeled to take to the new sewing resale shop in town.
We also cleared out a dead end corner of the sewing room, designed, and started construction on a built-in cabinet to go in there!
I quilted a customer quilt, worked on some secret sewing projects, and also finished this Bright Fish, Night Fish baby quilt.
Ann, who commented on the previous post about this quilt, suggested a simpler design with the same fabric for the back. I took her suggestion and left the fish panel whole and added plain borders to two sides. I think that is a better design for the calmer side of the quilt and certainly good enough for a newborn baby to use.
I found a piece of leftover batting that was the perfect size and decided not to worry about the color of the quilting thread. I used cream Aurifil 50 wt on both sides. The thin thread is not distracting on either side.
The finished quilt measures 43'' by 38''.
I think it is a good quilt for a newborn and I am happy to get it in the mail. Cleaning up the sewing room for the win!!
After all of this productivity I am now considering having an internet free day once a week.