We have just about finshed the outhouse/playhouse renovation. In the last two years we built a foundation in a new location, laid a floor, gave it new shingles, new siding, windows, fresh paint, a front porch.... Just in case you are wondering there are some orginal parts there - just look at that little cresent moon.
The door is original but B took it completely apart and put in a large glass window. It is shorter than it used to be because the bottom of the door had rotted. Actually, the whole outhouse is shorter due to rot. But P is not as tall as the rest of us so that worked out pretty well.
P, of course, chose the paint colors!
B found the windows in our barn and installed them so that they swing open. He also designed and made a clever handle that can allow the window to be held partially open.
The curtain rods are made from some of B's old wood arrows. He carved the holders for them too. The curtains are made from fabric from a friend's sewing room clean out. Thanks Karen!
B fixed the door with a ball and socket latch so you just have to pull it open and shut and there is no danger of getting locked inside.
Yesterday we completed our work by putting a front porch in place. The porch is a big slab of cement that used to be part of a retaining wall by the barn.
It is fun to see the outhouse and lots of found objects have a new life as a fun and functional playhouse.
Her "fairy garden" is next to the playhouse so bringing the flowers up to and around the house is the next step. We'll do that in the spring.
B has said that he will put in a flip up table and a small corner shelf. The old wooden chairs for the playhouse are chairs that the boys used when they went to the coop preschool that all three kids attended. The chairs were replaced before P started school but she has enjoyed using a few of them here.
This is what it looked like a couple of years before we started the renovation.