P needed a new backpack for school this year. Her kindergarten backpack was really too small. A full size folder would not fit in it without being bent. So, the NIGHT BEFORE SCHOOL STARTED, she reminded me that "first grade is starting tomorrow and I don't have a first grade backpack!" (mini meltdown followed)
We went to the sewing room and chose fabrics for a larger bag. This was enough to calm her for bed.
The next day after school she drew out the quilting designs that she wanted - connected flowers on the floral, and beads on a string for the green dot fabric.
This is a view of the floral quilting from the lining side where it is a little easier to see.
I finally finished the backpack today. It was my goal to have it finished before leaving for retreat and I did that!
It seems big to me but I guess she will grow into it and I won't have to make a new one next year! I used the large size of this pattern, the same pattern I used last year.
Changes to the design:
I used the gusset depth of the small size so that it wouldn't be quite so big.
The zipper I had was not long enough so I had to make an adjustment for that. (I should have measured that before cutting and made the lower gusset longer to accomodate the difference.)
I omitted the pockets on the inside because she never used those on her other pack.
She is thrilled with it!