"When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it."
My sewing room is sometimes a family gathering place. I like to think that is because everyone is interested in seeing the progress on my latest project. It is more probably because our computer is on my desk which is also in my sewing room. As a result, I often get suggestions on what to do with my current sewing project.
Earlier this week M came in and saw the HST piles. He commented that I make a lot of quilts with white background. M often has good artistic instinct so I listened to him and tried putting a row of the HSTs on a different color background - the charcoal kona that I had purchased for my "zinnia quilt" - (I had tried a few different designs for this zinnia inspired quilt but was not happy with any of them) ANYWAY, I like the charcoal but not with the white of the HST blocks. Next, I made a few HST blocks with the charcoal ground.
Now, in a round about fashion, I am finally making a plan for my Zinnia Quilt. I am still deciding how I want the single strip of color to look but so far I'm pleased with how this is progressing. I tried a single strip of triangles, and also a double strip with the triangles side by side oriented the same way but both of those layouts seemed boring compared to these.
Perhaps I should wait to ask M's opinion before I go any further.
I can always work on the big pile of white half square triangles until I make up my mind.
Each time I finish a project I have the urge to start something new. I am also feeling the need to get things more in shape in the sewing room (isn't that always the case?) So, yesterday I broke open the scrap suitcase and started cutting. I cut lots of 2 3/8 inch squares. Any chunks that were too small for a 2 3/8 inch square were set aside in their own box. I dumped the whole suitcase and did some sorting.
Next, the squares were all cut in half diagonally and sewn to white triangles of the same size.
I had a plan when I started. I was going to make blocks similar to this or this but with six half square triangles on the diagonals of each section instead of the four that are shown in these diagrams.
After making a bunch of hst pieces I am rethinking my plan. I sort of want to sew them into one long strip. Don't you think it would look good to have a strip of these running off center down an otherwise plain quilt?
I was discussing the possibilities with Miss P after school today and mentioned that it would take a long time to make enough of the blocks for a quilt.
P's response: "Mom, you don't have to finish the quilt in a month! You can take as long as you want to make it."
Now I need to decide which way I want the quilt to end up and just do it that way. Or, maybe I'll make two!
Either way I'm putting the scraps into a SMALLER suitcase. I made the switch last night but, I can't yet close the lid.
I finished the February blocks for the Bee FF group. Tia wanted applique.
For this block I started with a ring of bias. I cut a one inch wide bias cut strip, folded it in thirds and basted through all three layers. Then I basted that to the background fabric using a plate as a guide.
I added a bird over the join of the bias and a couple of leaves and flowers. I wanted a sort of minimal look but it still needed something else so I added an embroidered vine.
I have been quite busy with projects this week. Today, I finished the little quilt for the Doll Quilt Swap. I ended up quilting in the ditch around all of the pink sections. All of the other ideas that I had seemed like they would be distracting to the small pieces.
The quilt measures 13 inches square. It was fun to work with some bright springy colors. We still have about six inches of snow on the ground here so we aren't seeing much spring color outside.
I hope my partner likes it. Shhhh. It's a secret; I can't tell you where it's going yet.
In making these small scale blocks I am using some techniques I haven't used in a while. With larger fabric pieces I can usually ease the pieces to fit and have matching points. For these tiny pieces, accurate seam allowances are a must. I sometimes use a stilleto point to make sure the last few stitches of the triangle seams stay in line.
I usually press seams to one side but pressing them open helps these small pieces stay flat and matched.
It was a fun, yet tedious project.
The finished quilt is four blocks and 12.5 inches square. Now I need to think about the quilting.